As I continue testing and learning new renderers, I am experimenting with VRAY for Houdini. Here I am testing a cloud render with VRAY. I am quite happy with the results, but the render took a really long time. I will be working on optimising the settings to get a decent render at a decent time. Render Time: 8 Hours 23 Minutes.
Posts by Cihan Kenar:
This a test of converting volumes into polygons. The animation was created by animating the volume offset parameter in the convert node.
I used Houdini 18.0.532 to create this grains test. Starting with a base geometry that is turned into grains. Running the sim and time shift when the animation stops. Apply a UV texture, and import the static UV’s into the animated grains using VOP’s. Attribute from map finally adds the image for the texture.
This is the first iteration of hair groom and shader in Houdini and Renderman.
This is a hair setup for a mystical Thylacine creature that I worked on for our major animation project in 2020. I used Houdini to create the hair and groom, and Renderman for the hair shader. The model was made by my UTS ALA 2020 cohort, and the fur and hair was entirely by me. Much thanks to Matt Estela for his support.
Blender 2.8 Raptor Modelling
I decided to create this raptor tutorial after rewatching Jurassic Park. I found some cool reference images as well as a profile image. I modelled it with polygonal modelling for the base shape, then I used Blender’s excellent sculpting tools for the surface details.
In studio 1, I was learning the Hair Generation and grooming tools. Here I am doing some research on different lengths of hair for a magical creature, hence the blue hair colour. I also added a cheap and quick method of faking wind through the hair which I learnt from my instructor and Lead in the project Matt Estela.
I recently started experimenting with the Axiom GPU solver from the excellent Matt Puchala at https://www.mattpuchala.com/axiom.
The smoke simulation is very quick and done on the GPU. Even with an older GPU like an NVidia GTX 1070 it runs very fast, in fact much faster than the sparse pyro in Houdini.
The rendering was done with VRAY but that took surprisingly long, possibly because I’m still quite new with it. I’ll be working on ways to improve the shading and speeding it up.
This is the culmination of my Houdini work in the 2020 UTS ALA Masters of Animation and Visualisation course. The models were created by my friends in the cohort but the FX are created by me in Houdini.